API 653 Storage Tank Inspector
API 653 Aboveground Storage Tank Inspector
Get a technically reach training to develop competence on to perform in-service inspection of above ground storage tanks as per API standards.
The API 653 Aboveground Storage Tank Inspector must have a broad knowledge base relating to tank inspection and repair of aboveground storage tanks, and will satisfy the minimum qualifications specified in API Standard 653, tank inspection, repair, alteration and reconstruction.
Benefit to Industry: This certification program benefits employers and the industry as a whole by helping to:
- Provide a continued high level of safety through the use of inspectors specialized in of storage tank.
- Improve management control of process unit inspection, repair, alteration and re – rating.
Benefit to Individual: The most recognized professional certification of persons in the field of in – service inspection of storage tanks.
Learn calculation as per API 653, gain knowledge in reference standards and codebooks.
The API examination is designed to assess knowledge of persons performing inspection on
- API Recommended Practice 571, Damage Mechanisms Affecting Equipment in Refining Industry
- API Recommended Practice 575, Inspection of Atmospheric and Low – Pressure Storage Tanks
- API Recommended Practice 577, Welding Inspection and Metallurgy
- API Standard 650, Welded Steel Tanks for Oil Storage
- API Recommended Practice 651, Cathodic Protection of Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tanks
- API Recommended Practice 652, Lining of Aboveground Petroleum Storage Tank Bottoms
- API Standard 653, Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction
- ASME Section V, Nondestructive Examination
- ASME Section IX, Qualification Standard for Welding and Brazing.
Studying for the exam
- Publications Effectivity Sheet – Questions on the API 653 exam are derived from publications listed in this document.
- Only the specific sections of publications that are listed on the Publications Effectivity Sheet will be available to you during the open-book portion of the exam.
- API 653 Publications Effectivity Sheet through July 2020 exams
- API 653 Publications Effectivity Sheet for November 2020 – July 2021 exams
- Body of Knowledge – List of specific topics included in the API 653 exams
- API 653 Body of Knowledge through July 2020 exams
- API 653 Body of Knowledge for November 2020 – July 2021 exams
API 653 inspectors eligibility:
- BS or higher in engineering or technology 1 year experience supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653.
- 2 – years associate degree or certificate in engineering or technology – Design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653.
- High school diploma or equivalent ( +12) with 3 years’ experience in. Design, construction, repair, operation or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653.
- No formal education – 5 or more years in design, construction, repair, operation, or inspection of aboveground storage tanks, of which one year must be in supervision or performance of inspection activities as described in API 653.
API 653 inspectors exams centre:
API 653 aboveground storage tank inspectors exam structure:
- API 653 examination is 7.5 hours examination and conducted in two parts.
- The closed – book portion: a short tutorial session. 110 questions, 2.75 hours.
- 3.75 hours open-book portion. 60 open – book questions.
- 45 – minute lunch break.
- There are 170 questions on the exam, of which only 140 are scored. The remaining are pre – test questions.
- Papers, notes and books are not allowed in prometric’s computer testing centers.
- PDF documents of pertinent codes and standards will be available on your computer during the open book portion of the exam and will be presented in english.
Validity of Certification : API 653 certification is valid for a three-year term and is accredited by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI). This accreditation ensures that the exam has been developed to the highest standard for openness and integrity and meets the rigorous requirements established under the International Organization for Standardization ISO 17024.
Recertification : API 653 inspectors need to apply for recertification every three (3) years. For more information, please refer API website.